Krishna Yajur Vedic - Sandhyavandanam
Commentary by Sri Apparusu Vijaya Rama
Sandhyavandanam is a religious ritual performed by Certain
Hindu men who were initiated into the rite by the ceremony of Upanayanam,
and instructed in its execution by a Guru (a qualified spiritual teacher
usually father). Sandhyavandanam is performed thrice daily and is accordingly
known by a different name at each hour - in the morning (pratah sandhya),
at noon (madhyanika), and in the evening (sayankala sandhya). Gayatri
mantra is intiated as an integral part of Sandhyavandanam.
Sandhyavandana procedure and its purpose-
1. Achamana- It purifies the body (done in wet hands),also protects
2. Pranayama- Procedure of controlling Prana.
3. Sankalpa (religious declaration)- It gives the details of the day and
purpose behind the Puja.
4. Marjana- This is said to purify the performer.
5. Argyapradanam- This is the important part of sandyavandanam.
This is done as an offering to Sandhyadevi, to show gratitude towards
6. Jalatarpana- To destroy all the enemies.
7. Bhutotchatanam- To destroy all the ghosts and devils and to make the
world free of them.
8. Asanashuddi- Appealing to mother earth to purify the performer
9. Chanting chandass, Vedas before Gayatri-Japa.
10. Karanyasa and Anganyasa- aimed at filling of hand,limbs,head and heart
with divine powers of god.
By clapping,all the bad images,thinking vanishes.
11. Dhyana- Meditation of diety by chanting Gaytri Mantra.
12. Gayatri Japa- Repeting the gayatri mantra 28 or 54 or 108 (recommended),1008(for
13. Suryopastana- repeating the prayer to god in standing position as
All these facts and practices are lucidly explained in the Book –
Sandhyavandanam by Sri Apparusu Vijaya Rama Rao Garu. This book is very
useful guide for all those who perform Sandhyavandanam. This is presented
in simple languge, keeping in view of Brahmacharis who need day to day
The book is available at : -
Navodaya Book house
Street Opp AryaSamaj
Kachiguda, Hyderabad 500027
Or Directly from The writer
Sri A V Rama Rao
16-9-750/12 Ajantha Colony
Race Course Road